Tuesday, March 20, 2012

TOOL ELEVEN

My favorite tools are the those that easily allow me to easily create movies or slideshow presentations.  I can see using them to create a "How To" video on marching fundamentals.  In fact, I may use my student leadership this summer to actually create the video and have it available for incoming freshmen to view.

I also like the Google Sites application.  I foresee using it in my AP Music Theory class.  I know that there are many websites available on music history, composers, musical instruments, etc., but I think that having the students in the class actually create a website in a collaborative effort would be very interesting and effective.  I specifically would like to have a website on musical instruments (with pictures, sounds, history, etc.) and music history (different periods, music of the period, composers, etc.)

Up to now, I thought of technology in band as being limited to the use of computers for evaluation (e.g. tuning, Smartmusic, etc.) or to help with student self-recording.  I see a lot more ways that I can use technology.  I do have concerns about using a limited number of iPads and stations with a class size of 50+.  I also still have concerns about taking away from rehearsal/practice time to incorporate new types of lessons.  Much of our bands' successes come from developing technique (physical skills).

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing the 11 Tools course! I don't think anyone would support taking away time from rehearsals/practice time for the sake of technology. I prefer to think of the technology adding to those events by doing things such as record and playback. This could be done individuality or with groups. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete